Friday, August 10, 2012

Texas Meningitis Vaccine

   I do not like the government to tell me that I am required to have a vaccine especially the meningitis vaccine.  I am not against vaccinations I am against the government telling me if I want to go to college that I must have a certain vaccine.  I believe this takes away my rights and freedoms.  In the Texas Tribune I read an article entitled Meningitis Vaccine Mandate Could Get Tweaked in 2013.  It is my opinion that they should just get rid of the whole thing.  I know that they are trying to prevent a disease that causes loss of body parts and/ or death but a lot of diseases can do the same thing and yet there is no law for those vaccines as well.  Also the Center for Disease Control states that meningitis risk is greatest up to the age of 22, so why is the law going all the way to 30?  So what may be well and fine for the younger population should not be pushed on people that are a little to a lot older.

  As the year progresses more and more changes and implementations are added to the law.  I am still confused on whether or not I am required to have one.  Regardless I refuse to receive the vaccine, mostly because I am well outside of the CDC age range, but unfortunately I am still under the Texas age range. Originally the law was to be applied to new college students only.  Then they added in students that took a semester off.  I am sure that it will soon be all inclusive that if one wants to attend college if they are under 30 they must receive the mmeningitis vaccine.  I am convinced that it should be an option that the student can say yes or no to regardless of first time college student of 45 year old college student.  I do not think that the immunization should be forced upon us.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie Mays makes an interesting point about the required Texas Meningitis Vaccine taking away people’s rights and freedoms. I have always gone with the rhythm and gotten my vaccine every year without thinking that other people may have an issue with it. I concur with Jackie in that some people might argue the rule requiring people to get the shot is taking away their freedom. Unfortunately, I strongly believe the shot is absolutely necessary and is very important – since it after all keeps people from getting sick. Although Jackie makes a good point saying that there are other diseases that we are not required getting a vaccine for, I still think the Meningitis Vaccine is necessary and the rule should not be taken away. The fact that there are other diseases that do not require a vaccination shows that health consultants consider Meningitis a serious disease that can do major damage and should therefore have a required vaccination.

    ReplyDelete